Tuesday 9 April 2013

Just What I Always Wanted (A Billy Bookcase.)

So a rather unlikely setting prompted this music blog post. Ikea. Yes I know, probably not the epicentre of new music but certainly power house of old pop. I think Ikea have realised that their main audience of couples starting up new homes are looking for something cuddlier than quite literally an acid house so have concocted a clever playlist of 80s and 90s pop. It gives their shoppers a sense of security amongst the oddly titled, in our language, 'Billy' bookcases and 'Lakma' lamps. 
Lacking on this trip was any sound of ABBA but I don't know if I am just stereotyping. The one song that really stuck out for me on last Sunday's trip was this banger-'Just What I Always Wanted' by Mari Wilson. I have found myself singing it since Sunday and it is already climbing its way up my most listened to playlist. It's just a hilariously brilliant pop song, if a little repetitive. I must also mention Mari's incredible hair. Anyone who can rock that beehive is good in my book. So there you go, if you do one thing today, listen to this. It will brighten up your day and if not, make you feel like you are in Ikea, go get that hot dog and refill your drink far too many times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment