Friday 24 February 2012

'I thought Bjork had died' The Brits 2012

The Brits are, quite possibly, my favourite night of the year (obviously after Eurovision and a good episode of Neighbours). By saying that you may think that I was actually there, I wasn't. Instead I watched the whole rumbustious event from my sofa, phone firmly in hand, tweeting my thoughts away which included '#Shabbatronic' and 'I thought Bjork had died'. I am sure you will agree, award winning tweets that night. For me this encapsulates The Brits. A night where the great and good of the music industry (and the not so good, sorry Olly Murs) gather under one roof to collectively clap each other on the back, 'sing' or 'mime' a bit and forget it all by Wednesday morning. This year however a national crisis has followed the Brits. A wave of hatred towards 'The Suits', James Corden and, if you are 'The Sun' anyone who was there on the night. Adele didn't get to finish her acceptance speech for best album, I know, I know, where are COBRA when you need them, we need to get the UN to stop trying to get China and Russia to agree over Syria and force a national day of mourning for Adele's speech, or at least this is what 'The Daily Mail' would like to happen. It is ridiculous. Yes, it was bad that Adele couldn't finish, yes they could have cut Blur a little earlier but the fact is they didn't. We can't change it. People have apologised, Adele has said there are no hard feelings, move on. I personally am dreading the first headline of 'The Sun On Sunday' which will probably read 'Ban ki Moon flies in for talks as Adele crisis worsens'. All this talk is such a shame. The Brits 2012 was a 'vintage' year. You had Rihanna dancing around in a potato sack and a pair of Timberland boots like only she can, you had Florence + The Machine 'Petticoat Thrashing' as Caitlin Moran put it on Twitter. There was so much to laugh about from the Brits. Adele called herself a drag queen for Gods sake! On a normal week at least one tabloid would have lead with that, claiming Adele had gender identity disorder, but alas a national crisis has erupted, we can't just laugh at TV anymore. We leave that for Children. Anyone over the age of 13 has to complain to Ofcom about it, move over tea drinkers, we have a new national past-time.

No comments:

Post a Comment