Friday 4 January 2013

MIRACLE AT 34,000 FEET

On Thursday evening I flew from London to Cork, Ireland. This journey used to be full of happiness. It brings back memories of summer holidays spent on beaches, which, without wanting to sound like Visit Ireland are the most beautiful I have ever visited and visiting what seemed like endless family and always being offered a strong cup of Barry's tea and a slice of cake (ah go on, go on, go on), you know the drill. The weather used to be beautiful too, or maybe that is my memory looking at everything through rose-tinted glasses. This flight was different, however, it has now come to that time when I visit Ireland more frequently for funerals than holidays. Naturally I wasn't in the happiest of moods on the flight and quickly settled into the stack of magazines and books I had to read, I always forget the flight is only an hour. Just as the pilot turned the fasten seatbelt sign back on, the plane banked left and and although it was pitch black in my mind I got the view I was so used to seeing as a child. The beauty of Cork harbour, row upon row of brightly coloured houses in Cobh, sailing boats heading out into the Atlantic and onwards to the city and the towers of St Finbarr's Cathedral from which my confirmation name is taken and my favourite sight of all. It was upon remembering this that a sudden mood change came over me. I realised as I gazed down on the city so small below me me and the lights twinkling along the River Lee that we ourselves are so small and yet so great at the same time. Looking down on Cork Harbour, which I believe is the largest harbour in the world bar Sydney, I was surprised to find myself marvelling at humanity's beauty. If we as humans can build such beautiful buildings and create such amazing places that I find the harbour only as breathtaking then we must be doing something right. The most important thing is that we make our mark whilst we have the chance. Landing in Cork I had a completely different view on the funeral I was to attend the following day. Yes it was to be a sad occasion but also a day of joy, remembering a loved member of our family and celebrating the mark we make with just the second we have on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment